Monday, March 3, 2008

Ali Michael, Now Too "Fat"?

I just read this highly disturbing article from the Wall Street Journal. Ali is an amazing girl with a lot perseverance. She dieted herself sick trying to keep her weight down and appeared on 31 Spring 2008 runways including Dior, Chanel, and Lanvin. And she's only 17 years old!

But after gaining five pounds, casting directors told her that her legs were too "fat" and she landed only ONE show (Yohji Yamamoto) in Paris this time. And she didn't even appear on her own -- it was in a group setting! See below:


Is this thin business getting out of hand? I think so. Ali Michael looks very healthy for a model, and I commend the fact that she choose not to starve herself -- instead, she went home. I really wouldn't notice a five-pound difference, and I think that this whole ordeal is absolutely ridiculous. If this (Anna Sui, New York) is considered fat...


...then what is thin? A skeleton? What is the world coming to? People need to wake up. "I think it's gotten worse. In the fashion industry, the models are getting thinner and thinner, yet as a culture, we're getting fatter and fatter," says Nina Garcia, fashion director of Elle magazine.

9 comments:

Maya said...

Sickening. Gross. These people are getting ridiculous. Most girls aren't nearly as thin as Ali Micheal, and they reject her for actually looking like something other than a poorly made 5-foot-10 cardboard square.
Ali is one of the most beautiful girls on the runway, but sometimes I wonder if it's become more about a model's body than her face.

Lovable_Me said...

What has the world come to?
Ali looks very healthy! Healthy is a good thing! If all models were "skeletons", they'd all be horrendous - terribly pale and whatnot.
To me, she looks like your average model. If anyone else can't see that, they're just blind.

Anne said...

Hi. I found your blog through polyvore, I can't wait to see more blogs from you!

Margaux said...

So sad and disturbing.
On another note...I adore that Anna Sui outfit.

Miss Yujin said...

If THAT is not thin enough, there's no hope for me.

On what Maya said, it's true that people care more about the body than the face when modeling. I heard (but don't quote me on this) that they actually prefer their models to be not too pretty; it draws the attention to the face rather than the clothes.

Great post!!

-MissYujin

Anonymous said...

what the heck is this world coming to? I'll just go get my appie pie a la mode now and double the ice cream scoop.

Nico. said...

I agree, it's sickening. And as much as I try I would never be as skinny as some of these girls.

BTW...great blog. Hope you don't mind if I put a link to your blog on mine.

http://ispystyle.blogspot.com/

LuLu124 said...

oh my god. how is this happening??? ali michael is succh a talented girl, she would never be considered too fat!!!! im proud of her for choosing to go home instead of dieting herself sick!!! ~xoxo, lulu

ryder said...

that is a scandal! she is prefect!!!
this situation is getting ridiculous.